Similar ideas popular now
Some of Fothergill's Buildings
Mortimer House, Castle Road, Nottingham. Mortiner House, a row of shops and offices, was built in 1883 for Mr. Tate. The roof line is extremely varied and complex as the building runs down the slope between Hounds Gate and round the corner into castle gate. A square tower dominates the top end, while a rounded turret caps the lower end.
Nottinghamshire history > The History of Mansfield (1894)
Rock Houses - ...'There are old legends that assert these places are of the same age as those at Nottingham, and that, when Sherwood Forest existed in all its glory, they were used as homes for the outlaws—in short, that Robin Hood and his merry men occupied them. '
Walter Fountain, Lister Gate, Nottingham, c 1910. The Walter Fountain was designed by a Mr Sutton in a Victorian Gothic style in 1866 and commissioned by Mr John Walter, son of John Walter of Bear-Wood, at a cost of £1,000. John Walter was a proprietor of The Times and in 1841 he stood as a Conservative candidate for Nottingham. The fountain was demolished in the 1950s when the road was widened. It was located at the junction of Greyfriar Gate, Lister Gate and Carrington Street.
Holy Trinity Church and Hansom cab rank, Trinity Square, c 1895. The Victorian Gothic Revival style Holy Trinity Church, which once stood on Trinity Square, looking from Milton Street, with Burton Street on the right. It was built in 1841 and demolished circa 1957-8.