Audley Moore was born in New Iberia, Louisiana, on July 27, 1898. Her parents were both dead by the time she was 14, and she became the primary support for her two sisters. She worked as a nurse during World War I, and after moving to Anniston, Alabama, organized the first USO for African American soldiers who had been denied entrance by the official USO organization. She also assisted them in receiving medical care and food.
Original building of Mercy Hospital, located at 1321 Annunciation Street. Opened in 1924 by the Sisters of Mercy, it was located in the former Saulet Plantation, which was also a girls' school and mental hospital prior to this use. The building was donated by a Mrs. Soniat, who was a Saulet. This was used until the facility on Jefferson Davis was built.
MARSTON HOUSE Clinton, Louisiana, East Feliciana Parish. Built to be a bank in 1835. In 1837 Henry Marston added a story and rebuilt the columns. It became his residence on one side and bank on the other . Marstons owned until 1941 when donated to Garden Club . FEMA used as headquarters after Katrina in 2005. Jimmy Marston began restoration in 2013.
Mary Plantation in Braithwaite, Louisiana, the oldest surviving structure in Plaquemines Parish, will be sold at absolute auction-with the real estate and contents sold with no minimum price set, by Neal Auction Company on March 10, 2012. The house was built in 1795 and then expanded in the 1820's and features large open galleries upstairs and magnificent oak trees on the 7.5 acre property. A guest house is also located on the property. Mary Plantation is on the National Register
Nottoway Plantation. This plantation is the largest antebellum plantation house left in the South which contains 64 rooms, 7 staircases, and 5 galleries. This 53,000-square foot plantation home was constructed in 1858. Website: //www.nottoway.com/ Location: 31025 Louisiana Highway 1 (off The Great River Road), White Castle, Louisiana
The only marker of international boundary known to exist within the Continental United States is located west of Joaquin, Texas. The marker is located on the Texas-Louisiana border about fifty yards north of Texas Farm Road 31. The site was once the boundary between the United States and the Republic of Texas in 1840.