The medieval church of Hattula - Hattulan keskiaikainen kirkko. Kuva Tommi Lahtonen

The medieval church of Hattula - Hattulan keskiaikainen kirkko

Vanaja Church was built in the end of the 15th century. It is one of the smallest medieval churches in Finland, and oblong in shape. In addition to the pulpit from the 1830s, the church has an unique external pulpit. The altar complex dates from the end of the 16th century, and the altarpiece painted by R.W. Ekman was donated in 1860. The building has been restored and remodeled several times. The Neo-Gothic belfry was designed by Josef Stenback, and built in 1895.

The Church of Vanaja is one of the smallest medieval churches in Finland.

Hollolan keskiaikainen kivikirkko. Kuva: MV/RHO Elias Härö 1972

Hollolan keskiaikainen kivikirkko. Kuva: MV/RHO Elias Härö 1972

Sääksmäen keskiaikainen kivikirkko - Sääksmäki

Sääksmäen keskiaikainen kivikirkko - Sääksmäki

The Church of the Holy Cross in Hattula was built in the Gothic style during 1370-1420 to replace an earlier wooden church. The murals painted al secco from 1514-1516 are the largest in Finland, and they describe the events and stories in the Bible. Altogether, the church has 180 stories. There are also 40 wood sculptures, and two pulpits. One of the pulpits from 1550 is the oldest in Finland, and the other one is from the 17th century.

The Church of the Holy Cross in Hattula was built in the Gothic style during…

The oldest part of Janakkala Church is believed to be built in the end of the 15th century or in the beginning of the 16th century. It was dedicated to St. Lawrence probably in 1520. It was originally oblong in shape, but was enlarged in 1839-1840, and remodeled using a cruciform plan in 1848-1849. The church has been restored several times. The present belfry was built in 1784.

The oldest part of Janakkala Church is believed to be built in the end of the 15th century or in the beginning of the 16th century. It was dedicated to St. Lawrence probably in 1520. It was originally oblong in shape, but was enlarged in 1839-1840, and remodeled using a cruciform plan in 1848-1849. The church has been restored several times. The present belfry was built in 1784.

Pinterest
Search