Berlin Brandenburg Gate. It was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as sign of peace and built from 1788 to 1791. Damaged during the second World War, was fully restored in 2000/2002. During the partition of Germany the gate was inacessible till the opening of the wall in 1989. Now is a symbol of German history, but also of European unity and peace.