Rautatieasema. Kokkola, situated on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, was founded in 1620 by King Gustaf II Adolf. The bilingual city is the regional centre of Central Ostrobothnia and also the northernmost point of the Swedish-speaking coastal region of Ostrobothnia. For most of its 400-year history, the City of Kokkola has been one of the most important trading centres in the region. Its proximity to the sea created special know-how in for example shipbuilding.