Cinnamon Roll Cake
Published on September 22, 2020
Cook Time: 180 minutes
Serving Size: 6 servings
For the cake:
- •4 eggs, separated
- •1 cup granulated sugar
- •½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- •⅔ teaspoon baking powder
- •2 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
For the cinnamon frosting:
- •1 stick of butter, softened
- •3 to 4 cups confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
- •1 tablespoon milk
For the cream cheese frosting:
- •1 stick of butter
- •4 ounces cream cheese
- •2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- •2 tablespoons heavy cream
- •2 cups confectioners sugar
For the cinnamon sugar swirl:
- •1 stick of butter
- •1 cup brown sugar
- •1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- •12 by 10-inch baking sheet tray
- •Preheat the oven to 320 F.
- •Grease and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- •In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks until pale and thick. Add half of the granulated sugar slowly, mixing well until really light and fluffy.
- •In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs whites until soft peaks form. Add the other half of the granulated sugar slowly, and until stiff peaks form.
- •Add the egg yolks to the egg whites, and carefully fold together. Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder, followed by the melted butter.
- •Bake for 10 minutes, then transfer onto a clean surface. Carefully, peel off the parchment paper, and set aside to cool.
In a bowl, mix the butter, confectioners sugar, cinnamon, and milk together until pale and fluffy.
- •In a bowl with the mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and heavy cream on medium speed until smooth. Then with mixer on low, add confectioners sugar until just combined. Increase mixer speed to high, and mix for 1 minute.
- •In a small saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter with brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, and allow to boil for 1 minute before removing from heat. Pour into a bowl, and refrigerate until cool.
- •Slice the cake into 2 strips lengthways. Spread half of the cinnamon icing over each strip.
- •Starting with 1 strip, roll up like a swiss roll, then add to the roll with the other strip, creating an extra long spiraled cake. Sit upright on a serving plate.
- •Cover the sides, and top with the cream cheese frosting. Smooth all over.
- •Next, pour the cinnamon glaze into a piping bag, then pipe into a swirl on top of the cake. Pipe extra around edges, allowing it to drip down the sides.