Passionfruit Creme Brulee
Published on August 25, 2021
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Serving Size: 4 servings
- •500ml - 2 cups pure cream
- •1 vanilla bean, split, seeds removed, but reserved
- •180g egg yolks (about 10)
- •100g - 1/2 cup castor sugar
- •175g - 1/2 cup strained passionfruit juice
demerara sugar, to serve
- •Preheat oven to 150C. Add the cream and vanilla bean paste into a large microwave safe bowl. Whisk together and microwave for 3 minutes.
- •Place the egg yolks and sugar into a large mixing bowl and use a whisk to whisk until the mixture thickens and goes pale. It should take about 2-3 minutes. And yes, your arm will get tired…
- •Add the hot cream in a continuous, slow stream whisking while you add it. Once it’s all in there distribute amongst 4 ramakins.
- •Line the bottom of a deep oven dish with paper towels. Add the ramakins and fill the dish with water so that it goes half way up the ramakins. Bake for about 50-55 minutes until just set, remove ramekins from tray and set aside to cool. Place in fridge for at least three hours before serving.
- •To serve, sprinkle the demerara sugar on the brûlée, taking care to remove any excess, and caramelise using a blowtorch.