"Cavalry Regiment soldier and his mount" ca.1903, Hugo Backmansson - The officer, artist, chess champion and world traveler Hugo Elias Backmansson (1860-1953) is the only Finnish-born painter who got / received a war- and a battle-painting education in Russia.
In the act
books0977: “ Portrait of Anna Hindström (1902). Hugo Backmansson (Finnish, 1860-1953). Officer, battle scene painter, Morocco traveler, and chess master – Hugo Backmansson was a true cosmopolitan. He...
Hugo Backmansson, omakuva The war officer, artist, chess champion and world traveler - diverse personality Backmansson Hugo (1860-1953). The cosmopolitan man took the road through city of Hamina to the Military Academy and the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, as well as through the Manchurian roads and Moroccan deserts. Backmansson was exceptional in style of orientalistin order to be Finnish Finnish artist. His output was vast and varied.
Inquiry on the Kara Loma river 12.10.1877 - 1896, Hugo Elias Backmansson (Finnish 1860-1953) - The State Hermitage Museum, St.Petersburg. - Backmansson studied at the Finnish Art Society drawing school in Turku 1870-1873.He was sent to the military academy in Hamina, where he graduated as a second lieutenant.After Hamina, Backmansson then started a career in the Russian army.He started his studies at the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts in 1894 and graduated from the battle painter class in…
Sold Price: After Hugo Backmansson, Finnish/Russian 1860-1953- - June 2, 0111 11:00 AM BST
After Hugo Backmansson, Finnish/Russian 1860-1953- "L'Empereur Nicolas Alexandrovitch en Tenue de 10 Regiments Dont sa Majeste est Chef" publ. E J Marcus St Petersbourg, 1896, editor Robert Paetz ; chromolithographs, ea. 38x52cm, (12 sheets, unframed) PLEASE NOTE: This lot is subject to VAT
Ismailov Guards march (1899) Hugo Backmansson - Backmansson was a Finnish officer and battle painter. He graduated from the St. Petersburg Academy of Fine Arts painter of battle. He lived in Russia for a long time and just before the Russian Revolution of 1917, Tsar Nicholas II appointed him head of the Russian battle painters.